Monday, August 3, 2009

Method for coefficient of kinetic friction?

I have to find the coefficient of knietic friction between a shoe and a wooden board. I have managed to get the static friction by placing the shoe on the board and raising it until the shoe starts moving. The only materials I can use is the wooden board, shoes and a metre stick. I have tried one way, but my teacher says it isn't accurate enough, and I haven't been able to devise an experiment that would help me find the coefficient of kinetic friction. If anyone has some tips or ideas on how to do this, I would be very grateful for their help.

Method for coefficient of kinetic friction?
If possible, repeat the following until you find the correct angle.


Raise the board to some angle less than the static friction angle, and give the shoe a starting nudge. You have the correct angle when the shoe continues to move at a constant rate, which you apparently are expected to judge by eye. In the real world, surface irregularities will probably make this even more difficult. Lotsa luck.



selling

No comments:

Post a Comment